Monday, July 21, 2008

Youth rep's "Working" sets a new standard

I shook my head.

The crowd that came out for the Youth Rep production of "Working" at the FAC this weekend was mostly parents of the performers.

Shame on me for not making a bigger deal of these shows in our GO! magazine. This wasn't just some glorified high school show. The musical performances in "Working" were among the finest performances I saw on this stage all year.

Let me be clear here. I'm not saying these were the best "youth" performances I'd see here. They were among the best of any kind!

When Alexandria Cambell belted out her "Loving Al" ode to valet parkers, I figured that was it. She was the big standout this year. There's always one or two.

But then Sara Barad came on and did her way-too-authentic-for-her-years torch song to the nightclub singer, while she played along. Then Carmen Vreeman gave her lament about "Milwork," with a passionate rendition that could teach James Taylor a thing or two. Then Brendan Kane gave a monologue about retirement that, again, was so authentic, it was stunning. Then Mary Earle showed that sheer charisma and verve can raise a waitress to staggering heights. The show-stoppers went on and on.

What the heck do these kids know about working for a living? I don't know. But darned if they didn't sell this very difficult show.

You should have been there.

The next day, I wondered about these exceptional kids. Some of them, no doubt, will "make it." Unfortunately, to find their fame and fortune, they'll have to go far from the Springs, taking with them our greatest assets.

Let's hope they remember to write.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say that although I agree with everything you have said regarding "Working",I was surprised you didn't mention Logan Webber singing Fathers and Sons, which was so well done that it made me cry - as it did the folks sitting on either side of me.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Warren Epstein said...

I absolutely agree. Another high point. I was thinking the woman were going to run away with this show... their vocal strength was overwhelming. Then Logan sang that beautiful song. He's quite a talent.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home