Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Saturday in the FAC with "George"


Another profound waste of talent at the FAC. Sure, the sets and staging are brilliant. Sure, the orchestra sounds great. Sure, the leads have strong voices.

But what a horrible, horrible show. Mark tells me Sondheim was working his way through a midlife crisis and searching for something original as the rest of Broadway was growing stale. The result was "Sunday in the Park With George," a musical about the artistic process.

Whatever the reason, he came up with a musical that's cold, dull and off-putting. I hear a lot of people have been leaving after the first act. They're lucky. It gets worse in Act II. I absolutely hated the artist schmooze reception scene.

The show gave me nobody to really care about. I suppose I had mild interest in Georges' girlfriend, Dot. But when she leaves George for the baker, it was a big so-what.

The cast is mostly fine, but there's one supporting player who just annoys the heck out of me.

Am I missing something? Are people loving this show?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The answer to your question "Am I missing something" is definitely "Yes". This is Sondheim's Masterpiece. May I suggest you take yourself off to the Roundabout Theater's current Broadway production which is breathtaking, beautiful in every sense of the word, joyous and life-changing.

5:44 AM  
Blogger atomicelroy said...

You're missing the ability to discern art from entertainment.
Everything on stage can't be show tunes and dance numbers. You should stick to writing about TV. Seriously, you do nothing positive for the arts by misunderstanding them and shouting it from the mountain top. Professing your ignorance ( this and the previous post ) about the arts perhaps isn't the most endearing thing the GO editor could be doing.
OR better yet, take the time to learn about what you are supposed to be critical of. Writing from a more informed position you'll come off less, well... uninformed.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you need training wheels to see theatre, don't bother!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Warren Epstein said...

I'm not saying I don't enjoy the insults, but I wonder if you artistically superior folks actually SAW the show at the FAC.

If I've misunderstood something here -- and I don't think I have -- please tell me what it is.

I believe I understand the messages about the single-mindedness necessary for brilliant art and how that closes out relationships... and about connections in time between the two Georges. Also, the shallowness of the modern art world is clear.

But I think this show should work on both an intellectual and emotional level. Some artists have told me, it was emotional for them.

Maybe you have to be an artist to feel that.

8:23 AM  
Blogger atomicelroy said...

Yes I saw the show.
Thank you for finally acknowledging my superiority.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home