Friday, February 08, 2008

FAC Modern gets weird

Weird is good, especially for what had been a rather stodgy institution.

I checked out the new "Altered Spaces" show at the FAC Modern on Friday, and I wasn't blown away by it. I liked the artificial camping scene, with an interesting use of projection. But much of it, I felt I just didn't get.

I appreciate it more since I've seen the You Tube interviews with the artists. Check them out here:

Gwen Laine

http://www.csfineartscenter.org/2008/01/interview-with-altered-space-artist_8692.html



Matt Barton

http://www.csfineartscenter.org/2008/01/interview-with-altered-space-artist_29.html



Christina Marsh

http://www.csfineartscenter.org/2008/01/interview-with-altered-space-artist.html



The FAC folks also put together some beautiful wallpapers:

http://www.csfineartscenter.org/wallpaper.asp#altered



Here's a look at opening night (No. 117) from Springs Culture Cast:

http://springsculturecast.blogspot.com/

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love Christina Marsh's space. There is something both cold and formal about how she has arranged the furniture, luggage and frames in the room, but also comforting. I loved the chocolate picture frames and bars along the skirting boards as objects of beauty, but also the delight in going up to the wall and smelling them. I gather the chocolate is supposed to melt over time and am looking forward to seeing that.

I spent the most time in this space when I went to visit, because I felt the most challenged and at peace in there and came away with feelings of poignancy that stayed with me for the rest of the day. I am also greatly in favor of any work that celebrates grannies.

I really like Dawn's balloons and photo sandwiches too. They seem like fantastic, futuristic bouquets threaded through hands. This installation made me think Marc Chagall in the 21st Century. I'm looking forward to seeing the balloons 'wilt' later on.

I like Matt Barton's installation too, but I don't think it's quite fair to tout his as the best piece. His is very accessible and fun, but I don't necessarily want or need that from my art experience. As an avid X-Files/Twin Peaks, I really enjoy mystery and if I don't figure it out right away, I am delighted. Also, if I am forced to stay in a space for longer than I expect, to let it unfold around me... thrilling!

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant Gwen not Dawn. Sorry.

7:54 AM  
Blogger atomicelroy said...

WE,
How delightfully honest to admit you don't "GET IT". However an informed viewer who spends a little time undistracted ( unlike the atmosphere of an opening) should.
Which is exactly what happened when you watched the video supplement online, you supplemented your background information about the work. Then it became more clear. Funny how that works!
It seems some people can be are impatient with contemporary art. Mostly due to our obsession with instant gratification, as exemplified by the quality and depth of television programing, which we "GET" instantly
Another trip to the FAC Modern may reveal many overlooked aspects of each work.
All contemporary art cannot be viewed with the mentality of television watching. Some background information is always helpful ( that applies to all art).

Thanks for putting out SOME form of media regarding this exhibit.
It's a great show one of the best installation exhibitions ever mounted here.

and remember...
ART HAS ALWAYS BEEN MORE THAN JUST PAINTING.

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home